Blackjack is one of the most played casino games. Tables are available to play in casinos and online almost 24/7. The basic structure of the game is very simple, get closer to 21 than the dealer, without going over. Sounds easy, huh? If it was really that simple everyone in the world would win on it, but there is a strategy that can reduce the house’s advantage.
Blackjack Strategy Tips
There is a very basic blackjack strategy that many players use to analyze every situation that could occur to maximize profits and reduce losses. Some of the most common tips to be successful at blackjack include:
- If the dealer has a 3-6 (also known as bust cards), you should assume that the dealer will bust. Since this is assumed, you should only hit when there is no way of busting on one additional card (11 or lower). If you have an 11 or lower, you are urged to stay and hope the dealer goes over 21.
- If the dealer has a 7 or higher (including an Ace) you should assume that the down card is a 10 pointer. In this case, if your hand is less than 17, but the dealer has a 7 or higher, you are urged to hit. You should continue hitting until you either go over 17 or you unfortunately bust.
- Don’t hit on 17 or higher.
- Don’t split 10 pointers.
- Always split 8s.
- Split 7s against “bust cards” and 7s.
- Hit a 12 against 2s or 3s.
- Always double down on an 11, except against an ace.
This list of blackjack strategy obviously doesn’t cover every possible situation, but a basic understanding of these guidelines will significantly increase your odds against the house.
Blackjack Table Selection
Another very important decision to make in poker is table selection. You should always sit at a table that is within your budget. Don’t join a high roller table with change in your pocket or else you make be bankrupt after one hand. If you don’t know your budget, a good idea is to always have at least 30 times the table’s minimum bet. For example, if you are playing at a 10 dollar table, you should hopefully have at least $300 in your pocket.
Another difference in tables is the way the cards are handled. Some tables will have a 6-deck shoe that is constantly shuffled. You should try to avoid these tables because the odds are in the houses favor. An ideal table would only have a shoe of 1 or 2 decks.
With an understanding of the game, some basic strategy, and a little luck here and there, the game of blackjack should become a little more even odds. Following the types above won’t guarantee you any jackpots, but it will send you the right direction.
Articles about Blackjack Strategy