Similar to slot machines, video poker games are played on electronic machines in casinos. Different from slots though, video poker requires some skill and understanding of poker. Simply, you just put your money into the machine and receive your five-card poker hand.
After that, you must select the cards you do and do not want to keep for your hand. After that, new cards will replace the cards that you do not want. Once your new 5 card poker hand is shown, you’ll see if you win or not. If you do win, the money will be added to your credits, and then you can choose to play again or not.
Every hand normally costs five credits to pay. Based on this initial bet, payouts have been calculated as follows:
- Royal Flush (2000 credits): A royal flush is an A-10 of the same suit. This is the rarest hand in the game of poker
- Straight Flush (250 credits): A straight flush is any five cards of the same suit in a row. Example: 2-6 of clubs.
- Four of a Kind (125 credits): A four of a kind is four cards of the same value. Example: 4 Kings.
- Full House (40 credits): A full house is a set of 3 and a pair of 2 in the same hand. Example: 3-3-3-5-5
- Flush (25 credits): A flush is any five cards of the same suit.
- Straight (20 credits): A straight is any 5 cards in a row, suit doesn’t matter. Example: 4-5-6-7-8
- Three of a Kind (15 credits): A three of a kind is any set of 3 cards of the same value in your hand. Example: 6-6-6-3-4
- Two Pairs (10 credits): Two pairs are when you have 2 pairs of the same cards. Example: 6-6-9-9-2.
- Pair (5 credits): A pair is 2 cards of the same value. Example: 2-2-6-7-8
As you can see, pairs do not make you that much money. If you do achieve a pair, all you do is breakeven, which is not a good betting strategy. If you are dealt a pair, then you should keep it because you will break even, but if you are drawing for a royal flush, straight flush, straight or flush, then you should go for those.
The keys to leaving a winner by playing video poker are to practice patience and strength. It will be very difficult to win it all at once and leave with a big win, but instead to leave with minimal profits daily, which will add up over time. In each hand, you should only gamble on straights, flushes, straight flushes, and royal flushes when you only need one card to achieve them. If you don’t have a one draw chance at any of those hands, look to make at least a pair out of your hand to cut even.